16 Oct We Are Hiring an Addictions Counsellor
This is a part-time position within an abstinence based, addiction outpatient treatment agency in Victoria, BC. The core functions of the position include: Intensive Outpatient Program facilitation, group therapy, case management, and individual counselling for individuals with a variety of addictions, co-occurring disorders, behavioural health challenges, and mental health conditions.
The successful candidate will join our small group of respected and accomplished professionals who have extensive experience with the skills to provide the right level of support and direction throughout the recovery process. Our culture is one of mutual respect, compassion, professionalism and commitment. We recognize there is no one-size-fits-all approach to addiction recovery, so we offer a range of options to meet individual circumstances.
This part-time position requires availability until 7pm at least two days per week.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Conduct screenings and assessments, determine appropriate level of care, develop treatment plans and make referrals to programs or external services and resources as required.
- Develop and implement treatment plans using sound therapeutic counselling techniques.
- Provide a range of counselling and education services including to individuals, groups and families.
- Provide on-going evaluation of client’s progress, revise treatment plans as required and provide follow-up planning.
- Deal effectively with addictive patterns of behaviour, concurrent disorders and other mental health behavioural and emotional concerns such as abuse, violence, grief and loss.
- Accommodate referrals and admissions into the IOP and aftercare programs.
- Provide psycho-educational presentations as per IOP modules.
- Provide education and counselling support to families affected by addiction.
- Provide feedback and support to clients.
- Assist clients to develop effective relapse prevention and recovery resilience skills.
- Maintain all required documentation.
- Participate in frequent consultation and collaboration with other staff and weekly case consultation group.
- Provide accurate reports to the program director as required.
The Addictions Counsellor will be well regarded for their expertise with the proven ability to build and maintain professional, long-standing relationships with many other service providers, the client, internal team and all stakeholders. Their experience and education allows them to fulfill the requirements of the position as listed above, uphold best practices within the field and have the knowledge and ability to consistently ensure that people receive the right help at the right time.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS:
- Masters in Social Work or Counselling preferred, plus minimum 2 years recent experience. Individuals with a Bachelor’s Degree and a combination of relevant skills and experience will also be considered.
- Registration with appropriate professional body.
- CCAC or ICADC or willing to obtain within 3 months of start.
- Sound knowledge of addiction as per ASAM definition.
- Sound knowledge of drug classifications, most commonly prescribed psychotropic medications, most commonly occurring mental health diagnoses as per DSM.
- Sound understanding of the process and stages of addictions recovery and levels of support required at each.
- If personal recovery is part of experience minimum 5 years required.
- Trauma informed and dual diagnosis competent.
- Experience working in inpatient or outpatient addictions treatment.
- Preference may be given to to candidate with additional certification e.g. CSAT, DBT, EMDR, SE, CBT.
- Familiarity with local peer-to-peer support resources.
- Experience with 12-step facilitation is considered an asset.
- This position requires a criminal records check with the vulnerability sector.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary to be negotiated depending on education and experience
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Conference attendance opportunities
- A collaborative and supportive working environment
- Free on-site parking
- Staff appreciation events and incentives
Please submit resume with cover letter to – Sue Donaldson, Director via email or by fax 250 294-6850.
No phone calls or office visits please. Due to the high volume of applications received, only short listed applicants will be contacted.